The "Barlow Road Trail" Story
For this Pioneer Trek, we will be pulling our handcarts over a 30 mile stretch of "Barlow Road" which is a part of the original Oregon Trail.
The Barlow Road, originally called Mount Hood Road, is an historic road that was built in 1846 by Sam Barlow and Philip Foster, and served as the last land segment of the Oregon Trail. Its construction allowed wagons to cross the Cascade Range and reach the Willamette Valley, which had previously been nearly impossible.
Before Barlow Road, pioneers traveling by land from the east followed the Oregon Trail to Wascopam Mission, now The Dalles, and floated down the Columbia River to Fort Vancouver, which was a perilous and expensive journey.